Pages

Saturday 31 January 2015

End of January 2015 - Singles Review

It's only been one month into the new year and we have had some amazing songs from the likes of, Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds, Peace and many other bands/artists. Here are the top 5 songs of January 2015:

1) Greek Tragedy // The Wombats 
The Wombats. If I could describe the sound of my time in Key Stage 3 during high school it would be The Wombats. When I first heard The Wombats were coming back with a new album, I was worried if I’m honest. Would they live up to that amazing feeling they once gave me and many others my age with the new album? ‘Greek Tragedy’ lives up to that feeling, dare I say it be one of my favourite song by The Wombats. The first few seconds of the song just clarify that the band hasn’t changed; they haven’t gone all rock and roll and have stuck to their electronic indie pop sound that we all know and love. ‘Greek Tragedy’ fought against the critics that The Wombats faced after the almost failure of ‘Your Body Is a Weapon’ which was released back in 2013. Overall, a typical Wombats song that just builds up the anticipation for the new album ‘Glitterbug’ released in April 2015.

2) I'm A Girl // Peace
Don’t get me wrong, I love the sound of indie rock as much as the next person but I was simply getting to sick to death of hearing the same sounds over and over again. This is when Peace comes into the picture. ‘I’m A Girl’ is filled with lyrics you just want to scream (or post over and over again on twitter). DO YOU FEEL LIKE A MAN.? Yes Harry K, I feel very manly whilst thinking about wanting to throw glitter in the air because this song is just so ‘glitter worthy’. ‘I’m A Girl’ showcases the many talents that Peace have collectively as a band and just go to show that you can sing about the problems we have in our society, as Harry K sings “nature demands that we fuck eat and fight”, and still have a fucking good dance to it.

3) Cassy-O // George Ezra (Re-Release for Brit Awards 2015)
Now this song happens to have one other catchiest chorus I’ve ever heard. Whilst typing this I am currently humming the chorus in my head. Never the less, George Ezra once again provides us with a class song that we all want to sing along to.  The folk filled song takes us on a journey that makes us want to repeat the song over and over again. The fact that this song has been re-released for the Britt Awards just show how the music industry is always changing, big up to George Ezra for showing that you don't have to be a squeaky singer to make a mark on the popular music scene.

4) Handsome // The Vaccines
Now this song happens to have one other catchiest chorus I’ve ever heard. Whilst typing this I am currently humming the chorus in my head. Never the less, George Ezra once again provides us with a class song that we all want to sing along to.  The folk filled song takes us on a journey that makes us want to repeat the song over and over again.

5) The Ballad Of The Mighty I // Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds
The Chief has done it again. Whatever goes on in Noel Gallagher’s head when writing songs, I wish I could have. Sounds that portray a Noel Gallagher that has stuck by his guitar and produced amazing songs.  What makes this song even better? Johnny Marr. The two Manchester legends on one song what more could you want?

No comments:

Post a Comment